Audio Length: 1 hour & 15 minutes
Transcript Length: 29 pages, pdf format
Jini Says: Many of you are already familiar with certain concepts of holistic dentistry, such as: mercury is poisonous, root canals promote ongoing infection, flouride is toxic, etc. Since that information is widely available and there is LOTS of documentation on it, I wanted this teleseminar to be more advanced and specific. So here is just a sampling of some of the topics covered and questions answered in this FANTASTIC podcast:
- What kind of mercury detox protocol is safe for people with existing chronic illness - to avoid triggering a flare?
- What are safe alternatives to root canals? Are implants safe?
- How to avoid tooth decay in the first place - is there a special diet or supplements we can take to improve our tooth enamel and prevent decay from occurring?
- Crowns, bridges and implants - are these safe for our bodies from a holistic point of view and which materials are safe to use?
- What are good dental materials (for crowns, onlays) for the chemically sensitive?
- I have a chronic sinus infection in my right sinus. , plus I have a root canal in the upper right quadrant--is it possible these 2 things are connected?
- If a mercury filling was removed and replaced with a composite, is there a possibility that mercury residue still exists under the new filling?
- I'm extremely chemically sensitive (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities). What is the least chemically reactive material for fillings and what brand makes it? Do you recommend Heliomolar? Which composite materials would you recommend for fillings, which ones do you consider safe and durable?
- When and how often should teeth be brushed in order to maintain optimal dental health?
- What is your opinion on using unrefined sea salt instead of toothpaste?
- Nearly all commercial toothpastes contain glycerin - should we avoid this?
- Should we go for regular teeth cleanings to a dental hygienist? Are there any safe ways to remove tooth tartar that you would recommend?
- Are there any safe ways to whiten teeth that you would recommend? What is your opinion on hydrogen peroxide and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) as tooth-whitening agents?
- What do you think of Dr. Gerard F. Judd and his findings and recommendations?
- What do you think of Dr. Weston A. Price and his findings and recommendations?
- Can tooth enamel regenerate? If so, what can be done to stimulate and support tooth enamel regeneration?
I have read and researched extensively on alternatives to modern dentistry and holistic ways of caring for our teeth, gums and improving our dental health - so I'm pretty confident when I say that NOWHERE else will you find this depth and specificity of information on what you can do to take charge of this area of your health.
Dr. Hal A. Huggins DDS, MSc has both a Dentistry degree and a Master's degree in Immunology, plus over 40 years of research and experience in Holistic Dentistry - both in an academic and clinical setting. He is a wealth of helpful, healing information and he shares many key cornerstones of his dental health protocol here - don't miss it!
You can find out more about Dr. Huggins, his dozens of books, and referrals to a dentist trained in his protocols, on his website: www.drhuggins.com
NOTE: The 120 page manual that Dr. Huggins refers to in this teleseminar, that you can use with your dentist, is called the Client Education Pack.
We had some questions come in after the teleseminar, so I sent these to Dr. Huggins and here are his approved responses:
1. Is there a specfic type or brand of butter you recommend? Salted/unsalted? Is it important to eat organic butter?
Organic is definitely preferable because you want to avoid the antibiotics, hormones and toxins present in non-organic milk. Remember, animals are the same as humans in that everything goes through to their breastmilk - which butter is made from :) Raw butter is ideal, if you can get it, since none of the vitamins, enzymes etc. will have been destroyed through pasteurization. Dr. Huggins eats salted butter from New Zealand.
2. What are the most commonly overused vitamins that cause damage?
Calcium, Magnesium oxide, Vit B12 and Chlorella.
3. What are good dental materials (for crowns, onlays) for the chemically sensitive? I can't find a dentist who gives multiple samples of dental material so that I can test it out in my mouth.
As Dr. Huggins said in the teleseminar, it's not so much a question of a dental material being categorically good or bad (although of course, some containing substances like nickel, mercury, aluminum, etc can be categorically labelled 'bad') but rather: How does that dental material interact with your particular immune system?
And the way Dr. Huggins tests this is with a blood test for compatibility. Blood tests show immune reactivity, not just a saliva mouth reaction. Call Scientific Health Solutions 1-800-331-2303 for a Bio Compatibility Blood Test. You do NOT test different materials in your mouth. For a referral to a dentist trained in Dr. Huggins' protocols, phone his office:
Dr. Huggins did say that titanium is fine for crowns and he says titanium is also available for removable partial dentures.
4. What is your opinion on ozone therapy for the treatment of dental caries? Is there a safe way to remove dental caries without drilling and without damaging healthy parts of the tooth?
Dr. Huggins says: Ozone for caries treatment, I am not familiar with this. In my own mouth I would prefer a drill for caries removal, high speed initially, then low speed for final detail.
5. Dr. Huggins talked about having his teeth cleaned and visiting the dentist at very long intervals... He talked about this being possible if a persons chemistry is in balance. But what does he mean by this? Is it different for each person? Is this only a function of having more fat in the diet? (this is what he implied). We also know from the standpoint of nutrition that oils are fats (as opposed to carbohydrates or proteins); but Dr. Huggins makes a big distinction and says or implies that we should all be eating animal fats in the form of butter. But why? How does this relate to the lack of distinction between the general groupings of animal fats and vegetable oils in the nutrition literature?
The main points of what he means by the chemistry being in balance is achieved through:
2. Not using commercial toothpaste to brush your teeth, but rather 70% table salt and 30% baking soda - if you read any of Dr. Gerard Judd's work, most people eliminate Hygienist Teeth Cleanings just by utilizing this point alone. I know that's been true for all my family.
3. Blood testing (provided by Dr. Huggins' clinic) to determine blood chemistry imbalances and then fixing them using specific supplements in specific forms (also provided by his clinic). This includes safe detox procedures.
4. Removing any harmful dental materials from your mouth - in a Huggins-approved manner/process, by an Alliance-trained dentist (referrals available via his office) - and then replacing them with materials confirmed via blood testing to be compatible with your particular immune system (again, contact his office for the Bio-Compatibility test or a dentist who can oversee the test. The test is done by www.shslab.com).
5. Not doing anything else to produce toxicity or imbalance in your body chemistry (eg. using the right pans to cook with so your food isn't contaminated, avoiding mercury-containing fish, avoiding toxic skin care products, etc - this aspect is covered in Ch. 4 of Listen To Your Gut).
The complete program to balance body chemistry and descriptions are outlined in the book he talked about on the call - which I later sent an email telling everyone about - called the Client Education Pack- available from his office.
Regarding your questions on fats, again, you will find lots of in-depth info on this at: www.westonaprice.org (click on Site Map and go from there).
6. Regarding fillings for young children - where either too difficult to draw blood, or parents can't afford it - what would be the composite filling material with the highest likelihood of not doing too much harm?
The composite material that Dr. Huggins would recommend is Diamond Lite by DRM Corporation.
For more complete answers to these questions, feel free to call his office directly as his staff are most happy to answer any questions you might have. 1-866-948-4638 or 1-719-522-0566
ABOUT DR. HAL A. HUGGINS:
Hal A. Huggins, DDS, MS, received his dental degree from the University of Nebraska in 1962. There he met noted international lecturer Arne Lauritzen, L.D.S. Dr. Lauritzen asked Dr. Huggins to ghostwrite a book with him. The team spent the next five years researching an international textbook called Atlas of Occlusal Analysis, which was translated into five languages. The topic of the book is the original work on tempero mandibular joint (TMJ). Dr. Huggins was given the assignment of interviewing several of the noted dental and medical nutritionists of the day, and of writing the section on nutrition in dentistry.
Dr. Huggins became intrigued by blood chemistry and how it could be used to determine a patient's nutritional needs, as well as to monitor progress of a patient's treatment plan. He soon took blood chemistry interpretations into many aspects of dental degenerative disease, and he accidentally found that all degenerative diseases had common denominators.
While expanding his chemistry interpretations, Dr. Huggins met Olympio Pinto, C.D., of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Dr. Pinto introduced him to the concept of mercury toxicity, and Dr. Huggins immediately found correlations between dental materials and chemistry changes. His first cases had "accidental" rapid improvements that captured his attention and inspired him to delve into the depths of chemistry, endocrinology, toxicology, and immunology to develop what is now the most advanced technology for treating dental material-stimulated degenerative and autoimmune diseases.
Dr. Huggins entered into a Master of Science program at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs in 1985. He graduated in 1989, and by that time had already incorporated many of the things he had learned into his private practice. In 1990, he founded the Huggins Diagnostic Center, which embodies multiple health disciplines, including medicine, dentistry, biochemistry, hematology, toxicology, pathology, nutrition, nursing, psychology, movement education, Feldenkrais (a gentle body discipline that reintroduces the muscular system to the nervous system), acupressure, massage, and sauna therapy, in one diagnostic and treatment facility, all under a team direction.
Dr. Huggins believes that mercury toxicity damages so many areas that the team approach seems to be required in order to cover the avenues found to stimulate recovery. He hopes this will serve as a pattern for a future healthcare model.
Public interest in his techniques has brought him invitations to speak in forty-six of the fifty United States and thirteen foreign countries. Radio, television, and print media have followed his research by requesting over 1500 interviews in the past twenty years.
Note: After purchasing, you will be sent an email with download instructions for the MP3 audio file and PDF written transcript.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.